Sunday 2 January 2011

My first temptation

Happy New Year!
I don't know about everyone else but I am really looking forward to this year maybe even a little too much. 

As I mentioned in my last post I am trying to be really healthy in January, no alcohol, no caffeine, limited sugar (except from fruit) and, partly for other reasons, no meat. 

My first temptation came 10 hours into the new year! I was sitting in the car and in hopped my friend and said I bought you a coke and handed me a can. I was a tad hungover and it was a hot day so a nice cold coke would have gone down really well. I am pleased to say I over came the temptation and Michael-clease off loaded the cokes onto some grateful teenagers. It made me realise though that one of the toughest parts of eating healthily is the temptation by others and the not wanting to seem rude. 

To make up for the lack of protein from the meat I am going to try and substitute any meat ingredient with beans. And we had some veggie burgers in the fridge from visiting family so I have managed pretty well so far today.

I haven't been doing too much exercise over the holidays, a little bit of swimming but that is about all. It really should have started on the 1st, the improved fitness I mean, but what with the late night, the slight hangover and the scorcher of a day all I could manage was to jump into the ocean. Today however I woke up nice and early and did a 20min run followed by a 500m swim, it was again scorching hot but as I sit and write this the clouds have come over and its cooling a little. I guess there is no best time to exercise as you can never be sure what is going to happen later but for me getting up early and running seems to put me in a healthier mind frame for the rest of the day. Now I am off for a drive to a beach in the national park, complete with cooler bag full carrot sticks!