Sunday 9 January 2011

The highs and lows of triathlon training

One thing you should know about me is that I love free stuff, I think maybe that's one of the reasons I think doing races - goodie bag at the end, sports drinks given away, maybe a t-shirt. Even if they are crappy cotton t-shirts that I will probably never wear I still love getting them! Well today Michael-clease and I were out on a run and we went past people giving away ice lollys, I was pretty hot and thirsty so it was very welcome. Then as we got a little further there where people giving away cartons of coconut water! Boy that made my day.

The low this weekend was my jelly fish sting. The boys had gone for a surf and decided to go for an ocean swim, as I got down to the beach I could see there were a few dead blue bottles. I figured that as there weren't any dead ones to the left then I should probably be ok there. I swam away carefully looking round me to make sure there weren't any nearby and suddenly I saw this big white jelly fish, it freaked me out, I quickly turned round and swam to the shore but in doing so I got caught in the tentacles of a blue bottle! It got me across the shoulder, likely I had been got before on the hand and I knew you were meant to remove the tentacles with your hand and then put either ice or hot water on the sting. So I rushed home and put my shoulder under a hot shower. When Michael-clease and Neil returned home I found out Neil had been stung too, apparently there were a lot of blue bottles in the water that day!

My sting ( doesn't look to bad but stung like hell)

Neil sting

Today Michael-clease and I decided to do our own triathlon. We decided to do the swim at the end to cool us down. We cycled 18.6km to Kurnell and back, ran for around 5km although I stuggled and walked a little and then swam 300 meters. When I finished I was a little disappointed that I found it so tough but now I see it written down I don't think we did so badly. It is nearly a sprint triathlon and we didn't start till 9:30am so it was a little warm.

Chubby Katie.x