Friday 7 January 2011

Finding a challenge

Well since I have signed up for this Run for the Bling of it I have been trying to find some races to do. I mentioned already that I thinking of doing the little fun run in Menai but its not the easiest place to get to. So I was having a little browse and realised there is the Trishave Sydney Triathlon series in Kurnell in two weeks time. For about 2 minutes I thought am I ready for it? It is a 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run, what does that make it? A sprint maybe? Yep just googled it, a sprint triathlon. Now I haven't really been training, sure I have been doing some exercise but not full on training to prepare myself.
I checked out their Facebook site to see what the competitors looked like, lots of tri suits, wetsuits and fast looking bikes, pretty scary. But still I was considering it, Kurnell is just round the corner from me which makes a pleasant change as far as races go plus means extra support from friends and family. 
I clicked on the enter button just to see what the deal was and realised it cost $99!! That seems pretty pricey to me. I realise these things cost a fair bit to put on and probably cost a lot in insurance. Maybe if it was something that I had been working towards for 3 months and was hoping to get a decent time then I could justify that money but I think I might just go down and check out.

I am thinking of buying a pull buoy as the lovely Jess That's just how I roll! has suggested. Anything to improve my swimming technique is necessary with only 32 days to go to the big race. I think the idea of them is that you put it between your legs and it makes you more buoyant and so allows you to concentrate on your arm strokes more. Don't tell Michael-clease!

Looking at the Trishave photos also made me think about wetsuits. I have a wetsuit that I bought during my very short surfing attempt. It was only $50 though. I think its a spearfishing suit now correct me if I am wrong but I think a spearfishing suit is closer to a triathlon suit than a dive or surf suit. Spearfishers need to do more swimming and arm movement than divers although maybe their suits need to be less buoyant as so that they can dive down? I'm going to wait till the water cools down a little and then try mine out in the ocean pool and see how it goes.

Stolen from the trishave facebook (I mean borrowed)

I'm going to run part of the way home today. I will get changed into my running stuff at work then get off the train three stops earlier. As I haven't lived in the area that long there is a small chance that I will get lost but i'll have my phone on me. I intend to make it a bit longer each time and hopefully I will have a good route sorted by then. Maybe one day I can run all the way home although that's kind of marathon distance so it might be a while.

Oh lastly I had some sad news the other day. My miso soup has fish in it! I was very sad when I looked at the ingredients list.

Chubby Katie.x