Tuesday 11 January 2011

Sugar, Iron, Protein and Naughtyness

I was just browsing some websites and spotted this article http://tiny.cc/nsnp7 It is basically saying that all those flavoured water drinks that claim they have added vitamins, nutrients, calcium, antioxidants and who knows what else just have tons of sugar in them. And they aren't much better for you than eating an ice lolly. This isn't all that surprising when you think that Vitamin water is actually made by the Coca Cola Company! I a noticed a similar thing yesterday when I had got my free ice lolly and coconut water, I am not really sure what to look for on the nutritional chart but I usually check to see where sugar comes in the ingridients list and for those two products sugar was listed either second or third, meaning there is a fair bit in there (I think).
It is tempting when you are in the market to buy a drink from a shop and see one of these drinks to choose it as a "healthy option" and they are no doubt better than fizzy drinks but as is always the case there is no quick fix, water would be the best drink to choose and fruit and vegetables are the best way to get your vitamins and nutritents.

I was telling the girls at work the other day about my healthy eating for January and when my boss heard that I wasn't eating meat she said I should be careful and think about where I get my protein and iron from. I told her I would do some research...
I think protein should be pretty easily covered without meat, if I was on a vegan diet that might be a little different. I found this one the Vegitarian Network of Victoria website (I realise they might be a little biased, i'm sure the Meat eating Network of Victoria would say otherwise but it all seems to make sense)

Plant sources of protein alone can provide adequate amounts of the essential and non-essential amino acids, assuming that dietary protein sources from plants are varied and that total calorie intake is sufficient to meet energy needs. Whole grains, legumes (beans), vegetables, seeds, and nuts, as well as commercial meat alternatives, all contain essential and non-essential amino acids.

My diet at the moment contains loads of beans (I am mainly eating them as a meat substitute), seeds and vegetables so I think I will be fine. 
The VNV say this about Iron

Although the iron stores of vegetarians are sometimes reduced, the incidence of iron-deficiency anaemia in vegetarians is not significantly different from that in the general population.

And

Vitamin C, which is abundant in vegetarian diets, significantly enhances the absorption of non-haem iron. To enhance absorption, the vitamin C source and iron must be consumed at the same meal. In addition to vitamin C, fruits and vegetables contain small amounts of other organic acids (e.g. citric acid and malic acid) that can also enhance non-haem iron absorption.
Tannic acid (e.g. in tea) can reduce non-haem iron absorption by as much as half; calcium can also inhibit iron absorption considerably. In addition, phytates (found in whole grains and legumes) also reduce iron absorption.
Studies have shown that when iron intake from plant foods is relatively high and a variety of foods is consumed, inhibitors and enhancers of iron absorption can offset each other and iron balance is not adversely affected.

So it seems I need to make sure I eat plenty of vitamin C and try not to drink tea and coffee straight before or after a meal. Although I am not to sure what to make of the part about the phytates.  The website Bloodindex suggest women aged 19-30 should have 18mg of Iron per day, a little more if you are very active.

Heres a interesting little charts that show the iron content of some foods: 


Taken from thewomens.org.au - looks like I need to drink lots of Milo!
Now I must confess something, after just 7 days into January I failed my healthy eating! I had a small glass of red wine! I know its not really that bad and probably actually good for me but I am little disappointed at my lack off will power.


Finally here is the picture I promised you, me looking my most serious in my new glasses that scare me.


Grrrrrrr
Chubby Katie.x