Sunday 16 January 2011

A tale of two recipes

I love most things about Australia but one thing that irritates me, and it may well be in other countries, is the advertising and sponsorship. Don't get me wrong I understand how important sponsorship is especially in small local sporting events which might otherwise have to charge huge amounts entry but i guess it is more inappropriate advertising that I am talking about. As is often the case this blog entry was thought up by an article I spotted in the SMH http://tiny.cc/6zbzu. Its about have fast food places are selling us the food that makes us ill and fat and then selling us the solution. Take for example KFC, they advertise during the cricket, which in itself is bad enough, a fast food company advertising at a sporting event. But then they claim to give $1 to breast cancer charity for every bucket of chicken sold. As the article states "certain types of breast cancer, particularly in post-menopausal women, are very strongly related to a high intake of fat, and obesity". 
I have also just learnt (a little off the mark maybe) that chocolate company Nestle have recently bought weight loss company Jenny Craig. How can that work??!! It baffles me!  I like to think that if I was a Jenny Craig member it would make me serious rethink giving them my business. 


Did a run and a swim yesterday, nothing particular to report but neither were really as long as I should have gone. Today Neil and I did a swim to shark island with our snorkels and flippers. We were going to go round it but the waves were quite big and the visibility was not that great so it was a little scary. I think we will leave it for a calmer day. I might run tonight but being a British girl I struggle a bit in the midday 28C weather. 


I made gazpacho soup today. I really enjoy soup especially if I make it myself and know whats in it. The weather is a bit to hot at the moment for hot soup so this is perfect, plus those Spaniards obviously knew what was good for them as gazpacho is pretty much just raw vegetables blended together, amazing!


Now I looked at a few recipes and they are all quite similar so I won't credit anything, as usual I adjusted depending on what I had in fridge:


5 tomatoes
1/2 a cucumber (a small one)
1/4 red pepper
1/4 green pepper
1/2 red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 sprig of oregano




All I did was blend them all together, I did it a bit at a time so not to overload the blender. Easy. I've made it for my lunch tomorrow so I will tell you how it tasted.


The other recipe i've made is lentil burgers. We had a bbq tonight so rather than buy the shop bought veggie burgers I thought it would be nicer to make them myself. I got the recipe from this website http://tiny.cc/y24e5  I used tinned lentils rather than soaking my own. I also decided to use Worcestershire sauce rather than soy and I guessed the amount of oats and bread crumbs. I grated the carrot rather than dicing as I think it holds together a little better and I put the oats and bread in the blender to make them smaller. They were pretty tasty and held together better than other burgers I have made. To go with the bbq'ed food I made a coleslaw and some veggie kebabs. All in all a pretty tasty meal.