Friday 24 December 2010

Five Fingers and Mind clearing!

Today is my first day of Christmas holidays, I have to say a big thank you to my boss for not making me work this Christmas eve unlike last year. I decided not to waste the time and got up early and went for a run.

For my birthday Michael-clease bought me some Vibram Five Fingers.




Have you heard of them? The idea is that they are like bare foot running but without the dangers of hurting your feet on glass, sharp rocks etc. I have the classics, they are good for all sorts of activities but I think if you are after something purely for running something like the sprint is good but these seemed a good place to start. I love the idea of bare foot running and it is apparently much better for you but I have mixed feelings on my five fingers.
Every time I have run in them so far I have scrapped my toe. The top of my toe! I seem to drag my foot at some point, something I am never aware of having done in my regular running trainers. It means that I have a hole in both the big toes of my five fingers and bruised my toe. I'm pretty sure it is to do with my running style rather than the shoes so I will perceive. Anyway once I was running along the sand it was great and i could go in and out of the water which is not so pleasant in trainers.

At the end of my run I decided to sit on a rock at the little local beach near us and meditate. I really don't know how to meditate but I think I will get a book from the library about it. Anyway I sat there and tried to concentrate on my breathing and the movement of the waves and clear my mind. It seems there is a real skill in mind clearing, something I need to practise!

Well tomorrow is Christmas day, have a lovely day and be grateful for all your presents no matter how crappy!
Chubby Katie.x