Wednesday 24 November 2010

Just quickly...

I was have just been browsing Zentri's website http://www.zentriathlon.com/ and spotted these nutrition tips for a race day. I thought they sounded great so I wanted to pass them on:

1. Cut caffeine out of your diet 3 weeks before race day.
2. Eat easily digestible food high in calories 4 hours before race start.  I use bagels.
3. Eat a normal small breakfast when you get up.
4. Drink a Gatorade or equivalent right before the swim
5. Pay attention to HR on the bike and run.  It will tell you if your nutrition is off.
6. Drink about one liter of water per hour.
7. Take a small amount of caffeine when you wake up, halfway through the bike, end of bike, and middle of run.
8. Take Ibuprofen halfway through bike, end of bike, halfway through run, but only for comfort, not to mask serious pain.
9. If you can't maintain a smile, you are going too hard.

It all seems to make sense I think although I am obviously trying to hard in most of my events as I rarely have a smile in my official photo. I presume the caffeine and Ibuprofen consumption is for longer events, taking 3 Ibuprofen in a 20k bike ride might be a bit dangerous!

Today I cycled to and from work and Michael and I plan to go for a run do a few laps in an ocean pool and run back (run swim run) tonight.

That's it for now.
Bye
Chubby Katie