Friday 12 November 2010

Milk and Sand

I have been reading a fair bit recently about the advantages of milk after exercise. A study carried out by McMaster University (I should mention partly funded by the Canadian dairy industry) claimed that people who drank milk after weight lifting lost two pounds of fat compared to people who drank a sports drink who lost one pound of fat and no fat for the people who drank soy milk. Sounds like great news. However the people who drank the milk also gained the most muscle. 
An article in the Sydney Morning Herald about the benefits of milk almost mention that, as it is harder to digest, you should stick to water and sports drinks before and during exercise and leave the milk till the end. 
Unfortunetly I am not knowledgable enough to know how much muscle I need to gain to acheive my goals without looking like a big weightlifter. So for know I will have to drink my milk in moderation I think.

Last night I was happily busying myself in the kitchen when my boyfriend Michael walked in and said "right get ready we are going for a run on the beach"! I only live a 5 minute walk to the beach and really should go for runs along it a little more often. It was such a lovely evening I had no excuse so I quickly changed and we went down and did 20mins on the sand.

Bondi is always has people running along the soft sand but at the moment I don't think my little legs are up to it. We instead opted for the harder sand next to water and it was really great. Next time I think I will wear my bikini underneath so I can jump in the water at the end. 

There are some real benefits of sand running over road running. For starters it is harder so you will putting in the same effort but over a much shorter time. The unevenness of the sand will mean you have to put you core, back and shoulder muscles into use. Also many people have problems with lots of road running due to the impace on your joints, sand running is much kinder to them. Plus there is the benefit of not having to wear shoes which is always a great feeling :)

I was watching the tv this morning and saw an feature on this girl www.samanthagash.com she is a desert runner aiming to become the youngest and only female to complete the Racingtheplanet's 4 desert series and also doing it for charity. Inspiring stuff, check her out!

Thats all for now
Chubby Katie.x