Wednesday 10 November 2010

A quick run around the park 2

Well I did it! Not only did I finish the race but I finished exactly 30mins 00. I'm pretty pleased. Usually when I run a race I try to keep under 6 minute kilometers at my pace today was 5.21 min kilometers.
I got my free powerade and t-shirt and I am pleased to say that my sister Caroline and friend Conor both got great times!

As soon as I got home I set about making my falafel, here is the recipe I used:


1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 cloves garlic, chopped
1 egg
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup dry bread crumbs
oil for frying
1 cup container plain yogurt
1/2 cucumber, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste


In a large bowl mash chickpeas until thick and pasty; don't use a blender, as the consistency will be too thin. In a blender, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into mashed chickpeas.
Add in egg, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together; add more or less bread crumbs, as needed. Form 8 balls and then flatten into patties.
Heat a little oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties in hot oil until brown on both sides.
In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, salt and pepper.
Combine the falafel, yogurt and some tomato and lettuce. Eat


I think you are meant to deep fry falafel but I want a healthier meal. I took this recipe from this website and adapted a little http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/seans-falafel-and-cucumber-sauce/Detail.aspx they also have the nutritional information which is handy but I only ate two of the patties. I'm looking forward to my tasty lunch!