Sunday 13 March 2011

Weekly km = 25

For the past week I have been struggling on my morning 5k runs, it was beginning to worry me that, even though i still had 18 weeks until my marathon, I shouldn't be struggling so much. I had to keep reminding myself that I still had a fair bit of training time left and also that I tend to run first thing on an empty stomach which is bound to make things harder.

Saying that I am quite a believer that training the body in tough conditions i.e in the heat, without food etc means that when conditions are at their best it should be a piece of cake. I think I read somewhere that Chrissy Wellington (my triathlon hero) does some training session on limited water to get her body used to dehydration!

Anywho today I ran 10k and really enjoyed it and felt good, despite having a few beers last night and a MacDonalds breakfast. I did 10.6km in 1hr 5 which is ok, not my fastest but it was a hot day.

That make 25km this week, not bad but needs upping quite quickly I think.

I have just discovered the mcmillan running calculator you can put in your time over a bunch of different distances and it will calculate you time and pace for other distances. For example I put in my 1 hour 10km and it gave me a marathon time of 4:41 at a pace of 6:41 minute kilometers. I will work on getting my pace quicker as I am hoping to do a sub 4:20 marathon but the calculator is really handy to see what stage you are at and how you are improving.

You might have realised that I have not mentioned the triathlon that I was meant to be doing this week. Well the fact is I didn't do it! It wasn't very near our house so we would have had to stay the night down there, I haven't been out on my bike for ages, it would have cost quite a lot (especially when I haven't really trained) plus I didn't know anyone else doing it so Michael-clease and I would have had to go alone and he would have had to wait around for me, all these excuses added up to me not competiting. In short I would rather do a race that I have trained for and feel confident about.

I do intend to still do the 1km shark island swim in two weeks time despite my swim training suffering a little recently.

Well that is about it for today, early to bed I think so I can get up bright and early for another week of training.
x