Sunday 6 March 2011

Trail running

I have just arrived back from my Sunday long run and it was great! I got up early (well for a Sunday) and got the ferry to Bundeena in the Royal National park. After a bit of a shaky start, where i went the wrong way, I got onto the Jibbon track and ran/walked it round back to Bundeena. I think at one junction I took the wrong option and so ended up doing a 8.7km route although.


The track was mainly sandy paths and in some places was quite soft sand, hence my run/walking. It also got a little warm in the sun so took of my t-shirt and ran in my bra top until I saw hikers then I quickly whipped it back on.

As I was running along the sand and up and down the rocks I started thinking that maybe a doing my long runs on trails is not the best training for a 42km road run. I think I will limit my trail runs and only do about 1/4 of the long run on trails. The good thing is that the Hunter Valley Marathon is not all tarmac roads, there is also some gravel roads and grass trails.

I felt very safe on the run and knew I was very unlikely to get lost. There was enough people around but not too many to ruin the peacefulness. 

I finished off my run with a celebratory coffee before jumping back on the ferry, after running for about 1 hour. If you live in NSW and like running or walking in the national parks I really recommend the Wild Walks website.

In an earlier post I had mentioned that I was on the look out for a crop top. For a while I had been looking on various websites, never too sure if any of them would like what I was after, and checking out shops but not being willing to pay the $50 that they were asking. Yesterday I popped into Target and found these babies!


 There were just what I was looking for and were $20 with 30% off! When I got them to the till they came up as $11 for the purple one and $3 for the orange one, I have no idea why. They are just what I was looking for and I wore the purple one today. I just hope now that it says warm enough for me to get some wear out of them.

Chubby Katie.x