Thursday 2 May 2013

Hiatus over?


Well what a hiatus this has been. Over six months I have been away, after all the promises I made to blog twice a week, shame on me.
I am now back on the training wagon, and in theory on the blogging wagon.
I have just been to Bali, it was lovely but involved pretty much no exercise. The thing that did inspire me though was I finally got round to reading Chrissie Wellingtons autobiography.
As you will know if you've read my other blog posts I am a big fan of hers! She is obviously an amazing athlete and comes across as so down to earth. 

A while ago I came up with the theory (it may be a well know one but not one that I have read about) that people have different levels of addiction. Not just to drugs, alcohol and the usual things but it can occur in all areas of life, to work, to shopping, fast food. There are a number of athletes that I've come across who have been drug addicts and managed to turn their lives around to become ultra runners, essentially they seem to swap the addiction to an addiction to exercise.

Chrissy Wellington seems like one of these people, I think that’s what makes her so successful. Unfortunately I am not. I rarely have a need to go for a run. I enjoy it and often feel in the mood but if someone told me I couldn't run today I wouldn't break out into a cold sweat and get anxious. I guess its really a healthier way to be but it means I am unlikely to become a champion athlete.

But enough of my ramblings, in two weeks time I am running the Great Ocean road marathon. Its actually 45km which, although I can't find much saying so, means its an ultra marathon! Michael Clease has agreed to run this one with me which is very exciting and has made the training runs much more fun. 
Its apparently an "undulating" run but I've been reliably informed that the scenery acts as quite a distraction from the hills.

This weekend I plan to do my last over 30km run and then its onto taper. My alcohol intake has been limited and I'm eating fairly healthily. I'm feeling good and excited for the little trip away. 

Beautiful GOR http://www.victoria.visitorsbureau.com.au/