Tuesday 14 May 2013

Compression digression

Oh my goodness! I have just looked up compression clothing on Wikipedia and it seems to know even less than I do. I especially liked this line:

In those situations, athletes wear compression shorts under the skirt so if they fall over and their skirts ride up, their underwear will not be exposed. 

Michael Clease has just purchased some some and I don't think this was his reasoning! (I shall endeavour to get a photo!)

Anyway I next went onto the Australian Sports commission website. It seems there hasn't been a lot of conclusive research into the benefits of compression wear but of course the manufactures are raving about it.
Compression wear is regularly used in hospitals and by frequent flyers to reduce the risk of blood clots in legs. Here are some of the potential benefits:

  • enhancing blood circulation to peripheral limbs
  • reducing blood lactate concentration during maximal exercise bouts
  • enhancing warm-up via increases in skin temperature
  • increasing vertical jump height
  • improving repetitive jump power
  • reducing muscle oscillation upon ground contact
  • increasing torque generated about joints, improving performance and reducing the risk of injury, for example, assisting the eccentric action of the hamstring at the end of the swing phase in running
  • enhancing recovery following strenuous exercise by aiding in the removal of blood lactate and improving subsequent exercise performance
  • reducing the effects of delayed onset muscle soreness in the days following strenuous exercise
  • increasing feelings of positive leg sensations both during and following strenuous exercise


For my birthday in September I received some 2XU leggings and I wore them after my second marathon in Sydney. I'm not sure if I recovered any quicker but I must say my legs felt much better when I put them on. I find the "reducing muscle oscillation" an interesting concept, my understanding is that the muscles don't move around as unnecessarily when they are hugged tight in these, or wobble factor as I like to refer to it.  When I put them on my legs felt much more secure and firmer. Its a strange thing to describe but it felt good!

The Aus sport website also sites positively influencing psychological factors which may well turn out to be the main benefit. Still I shall duly put them on after my third marathon on Sunday and be content in the fact that if nothing else the compression gives you a more purt bum!

Let me know if you have any compression garments and what you think.

CKx

For reference here is the Aus sport website: http://www.ausport.gov.au/sportscoachmag/sports_sciences/compression_garments_do_they_influence_athletic_performance_and_recovery