Wednesday 29 May 2013

The next plan

This post has taken a while to write, it has been drafted a number of times.

When you train for a big event like a marathon afterwards you can feel a range of emotions as time passes, these are what I can up with in my head last night as I was lying in bed: relief-that you made it, euphoria-when you get your medal and what you've achieved sinks in, contentment-as you sit down for some food and maybe a beer, medal round your neck knowing you don't have to run for at least a few day, pain (I know not really an emotion!), satisfaction-that your race went to plan, pride-telling your friends and family about your day, and depression.

Depression can come about from the lack of no longer having an end goal, not feeling like you have anything to train for. You can fall into a habit of eating and drinking badly on the premise that you deserve to relax but this will no doubt make you feel worse. The post race blues.

I think the major way to dispel these blues (apart from eating healthily) is to plan your next challenge. During my run I remember thinking if i'm struggling now there is no way I can complete an ironman, however the day after we finished Michael Clease and I were already discussing which one we would do next and the possibility of a half ironman.

The reason i've taken so long to do this post is that I wanted to have my race schedule locked in and be able to write it down but it takes so long to think about. I am currently studying race calendars with idea of shelling out a few hundred dollars.

Our local run, the Sutho to Surf, is on in July and goes right past our little house so thats a must! Then there is the City 2 Surf, the huge Sydney fun run which usually attracts around 70,000 entries.
I'd like to do a couple of ocean swims but they won't be on again till Spring. 

I've been considering the Port Macquarie half ironman, its in October. That should give me enough time if I get my act together. I reckon I can do it, i've done the ocean swims in the past, i've done the 90km Sydney to Wollongong bike ride and obviously the marathons. But cost is a major issue! both entry and equipment. 
There is another in Forster in November but we have the wedding of Michael Cleases best just before which obviously isn't the best preparation. 
And then I think maybe I should do a couple of shorter races before hand but PM really is the beginning of the racing calendars.

Oh....do you see why it took so long to write! Maybe i'll just cure the blues by buying some new trainers  :)