Thursday 27 October 2011

Phew Lew

Recently I've been feeling pretty old, I think it might be because I turn 30 next year! I keep thinking of all the thinks I am too old to do. I am too old to become a doctor, I am too old to wear tops that show my stomach (although I don't have a flat enough stomach anyway), i'm too old to become a professional sports woman and I'm too old to go to raves (without looking like one of thoughts crazy people).

But then the other day I heard something about the oldest guy to complete this years Kona (apparently another guy just a few months older has completed it in the past). He's called Lew Hollander and is 81! How crazy is that. He didn't do it in any recorded breaking time but the fact his he had to be pretty fast even to qualify. I really hope I am that fit when I am his age, of course being retired must help. You wouldn't have to compete with hundreds of other people running by the beach before work and you could run at the warmest part of the day in winter. Hmm maybe I have just convinced myself I want to be older rather than younger! Heres an article about him written before his latest Kona http://ironman.com/columns/ironmanlife/matthew-dale-profiles-the-amazing-80-year-old-ironman-finisher#axzz1bvqrUmuC

Anyway inspired by Lew I have signed myself up to a nutrition course at the local community college, I can still work towards a career in health even it's not a doctor. I'm pretty excited about it. It's  a distance course so I can fit it in with work and it has a section on sports nutrition which should come in handy. I am conscious about what I eat and often look at the little table on the back of products but i'm excited to really be able to take the information and make informed decisions. Hopefully I'll be able to give my readers some handy tips too.

I actually got up for a run this morning. I would like to thank michael clease for encouraging me. He put his running clothes next to the bed and set his alarm for 6am. I very nearly tried to convince him to stay in bed but then something click and I sprung out of bed!   It was only a 20min one but I felt so much better for it and treated myself with a slice of toast after my bircher. Now let's keep our fingers crossed that I can get up for a bike ride tomorrow.

Chubby Katie.x