Friday 14 October 2011

I heart rates

I've been getting to grips with my heart rate monitor. I like just wearing it round the house, finding out what my resting heart rate is and seeing how it changes when I move around, jump up and down etc.
But I think I need to start using it as a tool to improve my running and hopefully make me a little faster! 
 
My resting heart rate is around 65bpm I think that's pretty good isn't it? 
An easy way to work out your maximum is to minus your age from 220. The is seen as a slightly crude measurement. In fact I went for a run today at got my hr up to 190, using the calculation my max should be 191 and I definitely felt I could go faster. The book I'm reading (the complete book of running for women) suggests you run as fast as you can round a 800m track, walk for 1 min and then do it again. As soon as you stop measure your hr, this should be your max. 
I'm pretty excited to give that a try. 
You can start using hr to control different types of runs. For example an easy run should be 60-70% of your max hr and fast intervals should be at 90-95%.

I tried out my hrm on the beach today. Most of the time it was up around 135-145 but then I did a fast run (which was tough in the sand!) and got my heart rate up to about 195. So I think I will set that as my max.
Next time I am going to give myself a goal heart rate to try and stick to.

Chubby katie