Friday 20 December 2013

A little winter running

As I mentioned in the last post I have come back to England to spend the Christmas break with my family. Due to the excess I will be partaking in over the Christmas period its important that I keep up the exercise.

Its obviously colder here than in Sydney, it's currently a high of about 8C and I tend to run in the morning so its a couple of degrees colder. This means I have to adjust my clothing to keep me warm but not to get too hot. Its tempting when you come from a hot place to a cold one to think you need to wrap up warm, wearing gloves, scarf and hats but you'll quickly over heat and have a unenjoyable run and if you are going far it might become dangerous.

As you can see from this photo (i'm not looking my best, I had just finished!) I chose my trusty 2xu compression tights, they are the only full length tights I have and I find my legs don't get too hot but they do keep the chilling wind off.
I have my Wiggle.co.uk DHB baselayer top on. Its merino wool which is meant to be breathable and quickly evaporate water (sweat), its also pretty cheap!)
The jacket is just a cheap one from a high street store, I like the bright colour in the darker mornings, its really light weight and it can be taken off and tied round my waist.
The headband is a inov8 wrag, I plan to do a future post on this but in the mean time i'll say I like it because it so multi functional, it keeps my hair back, if my head gets cold I can turn it into a hat, I can wear it as a scarf if needed.

www.ilam.org.uk
On the weekend I went to a friends wedding in the Peak District. Its beautiful round there but a fair bit colder and a colder wind. I went on an enjoyable run up and down some of the hills, not really going far as my sense of direction isn't the best! I made the mistake of wearing a t-shirt and I never properly warmed up. I did have my wrag with me though so I kept switching it from one cold arm to the other!