Friday 6 December 2013

A little inspiration

Its always good, I think, to watch some of the professionals in the sport you are participating in. On tv is great, in person live is even better. Not only is it inspiring, it also lets the organisers know that there is interest out there and (I hope) encourages and spurs on the competitors.

So when I saw an ad for the NSW cycling Grandprix and it was just down the road from me I thought i'd better check it out.

I don't know much about competitive cycling, I know a few names from track Olympics and the Tour de France but thats about it.


Womens start
Michael Clease and I went along for about an hour and had a bit of a wonder around. Channel 9 where doing a little segment so we might have gotten on tv in the background!


I think we saw the Mens masters race and the Womens Internationals. The circuits were 1.34km and they did between 14km and 36km depending on the race.
A little research into who was who and who were favourites would probably have made it more enjoyable but it was a fun experience.
We did watch the women warming up and picked our favourites that we planned to cheer one. One was because she lived in the area, one because her kit looked fast, one because she looked like she was racing for a small team not from Wiggle!

Sadly there weren't a whole lot of spectators but its wasn't the best weather and I hadn't seen much advertising of it. I like to think that Michael Clease and I did our little bit to keep these type of events happening.

Photos courtesy of Michael Cleases iphone :)
 
Women speeding past

Men towards the end of their race