Saturday 11 January 2014

Smoothie moothie

My smoothy interest was originally piked by this website greenmonstermovement.com/ and recently I've really been embracing green smoothies.
Much to Michael Cleases irritation I have been making one a day for him and myself. He has his with breakfast and I take mine to work in a plastic bottle for a mid morning snack.

Many people like to make fresh juices in the morning and, as much as I love a carrot, apple and ginger one, I cannot bear to throw away all the pulp thats left! Think of all that great fibre you are missing out on.

We already have a banana with our brekkie so I make mine a little different to how Angela at Green Monster Movement makes hers.

Serves two:
Three spinach leaves or two handfuls of baby spinach (i'm lucky that I have spinach growing in my garden at the moment so I can just run out and grab a few leaves)
Teaspoon of chia seeds
One apple or pear, cored and quartered
One cup (or so) of liquid, I quite like coconut water but apple juice or regular water are great too
A couple of dates if needed for sweetness

I find if I use an apple and water its not sweet enough so I add the dates, pear and apple juice are sweet enough.

Blitz it all up in a blender, often I add extra water at the end if its a little thick.

This morning as it was the weekend I decide to make a slightly more filling one for breakfast. This one had:
Spinach
Banana
Ground chia and flax seeds
A couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt
One teaspoon blackstrap molasses
One teaspoon coconut oil
One teaspoon honey
A sprinkle of cinnamon
And a pinch of salt

I had it after my run and it was pretty tasty, I could taste the coconut quite strongly so next time I might not use quite so much. As you can see it made a large glassful and filled me up well.