Thursday 9 January 2014

A mid week update

So I am four days into my new training programme and things are going ok, there is good and bad news. The bad news is I have successfully gotten out of bed early to train zero times!
The good news is so far I have exercised Monday and Tuesday evening instead. Of course this is allowed in my training schedule but it doesn't bode well for the days that I am meant to train morning and evening.

On Sunday (although my training hadn't officially started) I cycled for an hour and then went for a (very tough due to heat and wind) 50min run.
On Monday evening I went for a 30min swim with Michael Clease in our local ocean pool, it was really nice apart from the casual swimmers getting in our way!
On Tuesday evening I did a 30min run.
Yesterday I decided to take as my rest day but that means Friday won't be. Today I once again failed to get up to do my bike ride so I will have to do that tonight.

Exciting news is though that I've bought a turbo trainer! Its a machine that you can hook up to your bike and allows you to get some kms in inside.
I've just bought a cheap one for now, i'm not really sure what the deal is with them and whether i'll keep using it but i'm keen to give it a try.
My thinking is that on days when I have to do 2+hours of cycling I can do an hour outside and an hour inside or for when the weather is bad. I must be careful though to still get outside and rack up the kms.
In my view race day is a cross between indoor and outdoor cycling. Of course its the same weather conditions, similar undulations and road quality but most races won't have the traffic complications (the main factor that makes me less confident cycling outside).
When it arrives I'll do a little post on it.

CK.x