Saturday 11 January 2014

Go go turbo trainer

Yesterday this guy arrived. Please say hello to my new turbo trainer, I'm going to call him Tommy.

I ordered it online not really knowing what to expect. Although i've read a little about them online i've never chatted to anyone about them, how they work, how to set them up and whether they are worth it.

As I said in my last post I bought a cheap one, about $70 I think this was including postage. I did expect it to be smaller, possibly when you pay more you get a more compact unit??
Its also heavy!! About 8kg I think it said on the box which made it tough getting it from work to the station and station to home! But I decided to put a positive spin on that about the arm workout I was getting.

Well this morning after my run (not park run unfortunately as my training schedule has down but a run none the less) I put it together and went for a spin.
 I must say I'm quite impressed. It was simple to put together, the instructions weren't the clearest but it was pretty logical. Taking out my skewer and replacing it with the one that came was easy enough and it pretty much did what it was meant to. I just hopped on, clipped in my shoes and off I went.
As I missed my weekly 30min bike ride on Wednesday I decided I should do 30mins today. Its a hot day and I found it tough and worked up quite the sweat. It will be interesting to see how I go on a cooler day, whether the tough was due to the weather at all or just that its harder to ride on than the rode, a little of both I suspect. Still I'm happy for this to be a tougher workout, my reasoning is always that if I train in tougher conditions it can only benefit be in a race.

That cable you can see in the bottom image goes to a gear control that you fix to the handle bars, you are meant to be able to up the resistance. I tried it from 1 to 7 and I didn't notice a whole lot of difference but I'll keep playing around with it.

Tomorrow I have my Sunday long ride. It's meant to be one hour and I think i'll still do it outside. I'm keen to keep up my road riding and just keep this for bad weather or when I'm feeling lazy and need the promise of tv to motivate me.