Saturday 22 June 2013

Drill it....just a little bit

So once again I didn't make it to Park run. I had a bit of a disturbed sleep and it was a grey day. The rain came over about 9am so I probably would have got caught in it anyway. I know I know I shouldn't be worried about running in the rain, it just something you have to deal with as a runner/triathlete.
In fact on a side note during our stay in the Great ocean road it bucketed down on the Saturday, Michael Clease and I did discuss what we would do if it rained like that on the Sunday. Of course we decided we hadn't spent months of training, hundreds of dollars and taken a day off work to let some rain stop us but we definitely considered it for a moment.

Anyway enough digressing. With no running done and not wanting to cycle in this rain (again I know I need to be able to cycle in rain but at the moment I am so unconfident with my cycling that I worry I'd slip and fall off!) I decided to go for a swim. It's an outdoor pool but obviously that doesn't matter in the rain. Having been the last two weeks in a row I thought it's time I think about some drills rather than just bashing out lengths until I get tired.

I found this site with some drills that though I'd give a try out http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_14.asp


  • Drill 1 thumb to thigh. 
This one is simple but makes a lot of sense. It's aim is to have the most efficient stroke by not cutting it short. Start by standing up, with your hands by you side. Measure where your thumbs naturally sit against your thighs. As you make your stroke in the water you want to make sure you thumb lightly brushes against that area on your thigh before bringing it up out the water. 

  • Drill 2 touch and go
So this one is about making sure you stroke at entry to the water is efficient. Some people have quite a bent elbow as the arm enters the water. For this stroke you keep your arm extended while the other arm completes the stroke so for a second you two hands are outstretched in front of you. 

  • Drill 3 closed fist
This ones quite self explainitory, you swim with your fist closed. The logic behind this one is that your palm is not the only part of your body that is being used to pull you through the water. Swimming with you fist closed makes you aware how much the surface of your arm is working and should help you engage this extra bit of power. This one sounds hard work to me!

  • Drill 4 balance and rotation drill
Ok this one sounds tricky! There are four different parts to it. You only use one arm, the other should rest at your side. 1. Swim using your left arm, breath to your left side. 2. Swim using your left arm, breath to your right. 3. Swim with your right arm, breath to your right. 4. Swim with you right arm, breath to your left. Hmm I'm a bit worried about this one. It's a 50m pool, I may well tire before the end. 

Right so this is what I planned to do:
Four lengths warm up
Two length on drill 1
Two lengths of drill 2
Two lengths of drill 3
Four lengths of drill 4 (one length per part) 
Two lengths drill 2
Two lengths drill 1
Two lengths cool down

I found drill 4 very hard, I did two lengths and then gave up. I think I need to go back and reread about that. Drill 2 was harder than expected but I managed and it made me feel like I was getting stronger. Drill 1 was good but felt like I was doing a normal stroke with a good technique. Obviously nothing wrong with that but it didn't so much feel like a drill. 
Drill 3 wasn't as tough as expected but I could feel the benefit. 

I enjoyed doing drills, it really mixed things up and made 1km a lot more interesting. I'm going to look for some more and also try and perfect 4!

X