Monday 8 July 2013

I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling

I've been feeling a little ill recently. I think I might have had very mild food poisoning. I had some left overs and them despite feeling rough I ate the same food again for another meal. So my trainings not been going so well.

To make mysel feel better I bought some new running shoes!

These are the babies. I chose them for four reasons

  • The colour (they're actually a little greener than they look)
  • The price
  • The heel drop (I'll explain below) 
  • The brand - as I think I've mentioned in a previous post I enjoyed the book "just a short run around the world". Saucony provided Rosie, the author, with shoes for the run. I like to do my bit by helping companies like this to help other people. 


As the barefoot trend has progressed trainer companies have started (when I say started I mean probably the last four years) selling shoes in the minimalist catagory. As I understand it a barefoot shoe, such as the vibram five finger has a 0mm heel drop. This means that the heel is no higher to the ground than the toes, as if you are wearing no shoes and your toes and heels are both touching the ground. Obviously with barefoot shoes for only have about 3mm of rubber between your toes and the ground and your heels and the ground.
With minimalist shoes you can have a little more rubber and in the case of my Saucony Kinvara there is a 4mm difference between the toe - ground distance and the heel - ground distance.

I tried to find something to explain a little better than I can but I can't! So I hope that makes sense.

They had their first outing on Saturday and so far so good. I wore them on a 7km run and with no socks. This was probably a bit risky for the first time and although they were rubbing a little on the back of my heel by the time I got home I was generally very happy and comfortable in them.

I'll keep you updated on my progress with them.
CK.x