Wednesday 7 August 2013

Whats your style

Michael Clease calls me the tractor, i have quite a slow steady pace but manage to still power up hills at that same pace. The negative is that I tend to not speed up much as I go down the hills.
Michael Clease was described the other day has having a forcefield, whenever someone gets near him he picks up the pace. Thats why he always seems to run 5 metres in front of me!

Despite my ability to plod up hills, with the city to surf fast approaching, I decided a little hill work might be beneficial.
I've never done specific hill training, in fact I tend not to do much specific training for my marathons. I do the required long runs and try and fit in as many of the shorter ones as I have time for but I never do tempo sessions or recovery runs or those technical sounding things.

Luckily (or maybe unluckily) we are at quite a low lying area so there are lots of up hills nearby. I chose one just round the corner and set about running up it. I managed the first up and down in around 7mins 30 so I gave myself the target of 4 reps to equal 30mins session. I was a little worried that if anyone was looking out their window or walking on the pavement that they might think I was strange so for my second leg I switched road sides, unfortunately there wasn't much of a pavement so I was slowed a little looking out for tree roots etc.

I'm pleased to say I managed all four up and downs and the last one I did at a 5.5min per km pace.
Maybe i'll managed to sneak in a tempo session before Sundays City to Surf.

With my mind on the Fitzroy Falls fire trail Marathon I am thinking about all things trail running. I have my birthday coming up soon and I'm wondering what sort of trail gear I can get for it??? The obvious thing would be some trail trainers but I don't know if they are really necessary. I do quite like the look of these inov-8s!



I also found this online today http://www.chslsc.com/king-of-the-mountain-fun-runwalk.html Its pretty much a run up a big hill but I reckon its good training for FFFTM.

Oh I do like a bit of trail running!!