Thursday 15 August 2013

A new obsession

I have a new obsession! Its reading up on ultra running trail events. Things like The North Face 100, which is a 100km run through the Blue Mountains. There are lots of race reports out there on the world wide web as well as discussions of kit (possibly the cause of my obsession is the potential opportunity to buy new clothes!) as there is a strict gear list. One day I hope to by able to compete in this race although I do wonder if I have the motivation for the training involved.

But to matters a little more realistic.  I have the Camden Haven King of the mountain coming up, I touched upon this in an earlier post. Its this Sunday and it is a 5.5km run up North Brother mountain, a small mountain in the mid north coast of NSW. It will be tough, I'll probably walk some of it! Its a small town run with not a large entry field, I therefore allowed myself to consider the possibility of being first female (and maybe Michael Clease as first male) until I read a newspaper article that said the winner in 2010 finished in 23:13! And the first female in 28:48! Blimey I can only just run a flat 5km in that time!!

We will be doing it, however, while up visiting Michael Cleases grandparents, Michael Cleases granddad makes homebrew beer! I have not tried running 5km after a night of homebrew beer....I wonder if it will pass the drug test? Race report to follow.x