Tuesday 19 April 2011

Marathon tips part 1

I was just reading my latest email from www.realbuzz.com and handily enough it had some marathon tips on it! The London marathon was last weekend but with my marathon training in full swing it seemed perfect. I have pulled off their tips and then given my opinion which may or may not be correct! Part 2 to follow shortly.

Don't overdress for your race
This is a good one. Even in December in England I was wearing shorts to races. As long as you do some stretches and warm ups before hand you should be fine. I hate carrying stuff with me so the fewer things I have the better. Of course you should dress warmly for the journey there. The city2surf do a good thing where you can throw your jumpers to the side just before they start and they get people to go round and collect them to give to charity. 

Think while you run
What they are saying here is to concentrate on your race and plan. Don't let your mind wonder and forget to drink or take gels.
But I also think part of the fun is to take in the atmosphere around you and hopefully take your mind off slightly the huge mileage you are undertaking. 

Manageable race chunks
Oh yes I like this one. I saw something on a forum about someone breaking down the last few miles into people. You know mile 24 for Mum, 25 for Dad etc etc. I thought about doing it with Jelly Babies, naming each one after a person you care about. 

Keep your head up while running
This is a definite. Looking at the ground means you'll probably run into people, maybe trip over your feet and 


Follow the shortest course
Hmm not sure how much I agree with this. Sure you don't want to running 45km when everyone else is only doing 42km but I think you could really get hung up on trying to find the smallest corner. In the end unless it is one huge circle chances are it will all equal out in the end.

Get some race support
Yes good one, in theory. Its always nice to have friends and family there to cheer you on but in reality asking some to take 4 or so hours out of their day, probably more if you include travel, is a big ask. I'm sure most people will get a few supporters for their first marathon but when you start doing your 4th or 5th they probably start to thin out. I reckon support should come as a pleasant extra rather than a necessity. 


Chubby Katie.x